17th International Conference of the Utopian Studies Society / Europe
This summer, the Utopian Studies Society / Europe (USS) will be holding its 17th International Conference in Lisbon, Portugal; this year commemorating the 500th anniversary of the publication of Thomas More’s Utopia.
Published in 1516, Utopia not only opened up the way for the development of a new literary tradition, but also a new way of thinking about the future, founded on the consideration of alternative solutions to reality through imagination.
The USS Conference 2016 will be dedicated to exploring More’s intellectual legacy of utopian theory and practice across various academic disciplines, as well as focusing on utopian derivations, such as anti-utopias, dystopias and hyperutopias.
In addition to hearing from over 150 scholars in the field of Utopian Studies over the course of the five days, we are also proud to present our keynote speakers:
• Professor Francisco Bethencourt – Department of History, King’s College London
• Professor Maria Irene Ramalho – Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Coimbra
• Marie-Claire Phelippeau – Editor-in-chief of Moreana
• Professor Richard Kearney – Philosophy Department, Boston College
• Professor Viriato Soromenho Marques – Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa
• Lyman Tower Sargent – Launch of an Online Searchable Version of Utopian Literature in English: An Annotated Bibliography From 1516 to the Present.
For more details please visit our website: